Wind Ensemble Syllabus
Huntingtown High School
Fine Arts Department
MUSIC- 6420 Wind Ensemble- 1 Credit
Professor: Dr. Donald R. Naumann
Office: B103 Fine Arts
A. Course Outline: The Wind Ensemble consists of the most experienced woodwind and brass instrumentalists who play a variety of literature. Advanced music concepts are discussed. Students study a wide variety of music literature. Students increase their knowledge of music theory, ensemble intonation and balance, the proper rendition of scales and rhythms, and other aspects of music scores. They explore and develop those skills that are basic to careers in music. It is expected that students will practice on a daily basis and audition for honors bands. As members of the Wind Ensemble, Students play for concerts, assemblies, and other community and school events. All performances are mandatory and required concert attire must be worn.
B. Prerequisites: Students must provide their own musical instrument. Some larger instruments are available for loan from the school. Students will provide a 2-inch- 3-ringed binder with plastic sheets to hold concert music. A pencil and small digital tuner a required for class.
C. Objectives: students will be able to:
1. Perform music from the MBDA Grade IV through Grade VI
2. Demonstrate proper playing position; posture and embouchure formation
3. Produce a quality and rich tone on their musical instrument
4. Recognize and be able to match changes in tempo and dynamics
5. Demonstrate ensemble skills including rehearsal etiquette and technique
6. Demonstrate a variety of articulations
7. Become proficient on all major scales, minor scales, arpeggios and chromatic scale
8. Perform music with good intonation and proper phrasing
9. Demonstrate ensemble skills including rehearsal etiquette and technique
D. Rehearsals: Wind Ensemble meets as a regularly scheduled class period each day.
Additional rehearsals will be scheduled prior to performances
E. Concert Dress:
– Women: long black dress (Mina, available from tuxedo wholesalers) closed toe black shoes and stockings. (orders can be obtained through http://www.tuxedowholesaler.com/). Please remember to leave ample lead time to order and receive, as these dresses must be hemmed prior to the performance.
– Men: black tuxedo: suite coat with notch collar, tuxedo pants with black stripe, black cummerbund, black bow tie, white tuxedo shirt with winged collar and flat pleats, black cufflinks and studs, black socks and black dress shoes. (orders can be obtained through http://www.tuxedowholesaler.com/)
Product: Performance Assessments, Concerts, Playing Tests and Scale Check-Off- 70%
Process: Class Work, Homework, Practicing, Warm-Ups and Quizzes- 30% Final Written Exam: 40% of students Final Exam Grade